August 20, 2011

Event Quality Vs. Event Quantity

I attended a fundraising event for an organization some time ago and we all know how those go right? Somewhat stuffy, everyone sharing business cards and putting on the proper netwoking face. When I got there I was somewhat disappointed, because the attendence was low; you always hope for a big turnout for any fundraising or networking event. But as the evening went on I realized that time had slipped away and I had stayed longer than my declared exit time. By the time I had gotten home, after midnight by the way, I realized that I had a really great time. Pondering this event and what made it so memorable was the fact that there was a small attendance. I found the attendees more relaxed and open to more profound, unrushed, and unrehearsed conversations. The group was cozy, and a lot of fun. I got to see sides of people I don't usually get to see. At the end of the evening, I felt as though I experienced the quality of people as opposed to the quantity of people.

For your next event, consider what you hope to provide to your guests or attendees. Are you trying to pack the place to show who you are and what you are capable of , and thereby, not truly connecting with anyone due to the sheer number of people there? Or, are you trying to make a connection, where you leave an impression with your guests or attendees, that causes them to remember you or your event, long after the show has ended.

When preparing that guest or attendee list, consider quality over quantity. Not only is it sometimes more cost effective but people remember moments and experiences with you, their host. Make sure your guest list doesn't have so many people on it that you won't be able to connect with each and every person that you felt was important to invite in the first place.



 
Event & Wedding Planner  
Alpha Prosperity Events  
Greater Houston ~ Missouri City ~ New Orleans

No comments:

Post a Comment