June 17, 2010

Dreaming Past Others' Limitations

Don't you find it dissapointing when well-meaning family members or close friends are so unsupportive of your dreams? How do you dream past it?  How do you not let their limitations, limit you?

Well, this is definitely not a new issue. Since the beginning of time, someone was always questioning another persons vision, direction, goals or dreams. When you have an inkling of an idea or vision that you want to accomplish, trust me that idea will be challenged or questioned. It's not always meant to snuff out your dream or plan but often times it causes one to change direction or focus. It happened to us as children, when we dreamed of being an actress or ballerina.  It happened to us as teens, when we wanted to travel the world or attend an out of state college. It happened to us as adults when we wanted to start our own business or purchase a new home.

By now I am sure you have related to one or two of these. The point is we had a dream or vision that didn't coincide with someone else's. This same dilemma happens to so many brides and grooms to be. Through all of the planning, so many people have gotten involved and pushed their own vision that you no longer see any of the dreams or wishes of the bride or groom.  I deal with this as well, especially where my event planning business is concerned. This business is not for everyone and not everyone is ready for the work or risks that one takes when owning a business.

So how do I dream past others' limitations?  Well, I seek guidance from God first. I have found that when I do this, I am able to discern what is best. I meditate on scripture and positive quotes of motivation. I also surround myself with positive others, like supportive family members, business coaches and other business professionals that will give me the information and support that I need to accomplish my plan or task.  But, be warned. When seeking out others, be prepared that you may get an opinion that has the ability to deflate or derail your whole plan, if you let it. It's okay to seek solicited advice from credible others but understand that their visions or fears do not have to become yours. 

Don't let the well meaning intentions or ideas of others hinder or change your vision. In planning your life, business or event, you may realize that there are people who don't want to see you happy or successful. Put these type of people in a category off to the side (the side you don't visit very often,) and keep right on going with your planning, as you intended. Keep your eyes on your goals and on the "who, what, and why of it all." You may find that you have to make some changes here or there but it's okay if you are true to yourself and know that you followed your dream and vision and not someone else's.

Event & Wedding Planner
Alpha Prosperity Events
Southwest Houston ~ New Orleans

No comments:

Post a Comment